Daniel Simpson
Alistair Sponsel
Katharina Steiner
Federica Turriziani Colonna
Brian Tyrrell
Kaan Üçsu
Marta Velasco
Robert-Jan Wille
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by admin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: C Madruga

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #95 by Staffan Müller-Wille
Replied by Staffan Müller-Wille on topic List of participants
For information on Staffan Müller-Wille's research and publications visit

socialsciences.exeter.ac.uk/sociology/staff/mueller-wille/

exeter.academia.edu/SMuellerWille

More
8 years 9 months ago #116 by E Jones
Replied by E Jones on topic List of participants
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking forward to meeting you all and sharing discussions and research in lovely Ischia. Here is a link to a post about my research interests and my aims for the summer school.

In general, my research investigates the science and technology of the Challenger Expedition (1872-1876), often regarded as the first oceanographic voyage to circumnavigate the globe collecting information about marine life and the physical characteristics of the deep sea. I am a PhD student at University College London and work in collaboration with the National Maritime Museum.

What a better place than Ischia to think about how scientists and society have viewed, studied and understood the ocean? :)

Best regards

Erika
The following user(s) said Thank You: C Madruga

More
8 years 9 months ago #138 by C Madruga
Replied by C Madruga on topic List of participants
Hello everyone! I am very excited to take a few days with such an interesting group and learn and discuss more on the history of natural history / biology!
my research interests are centred around the constructions of narratives that include the natural world. In my PhD project, I am focussing on the 19th century naturalist (& politician) José Vicente Barbosa du Bocage (1823-1907) and on his relations with the accumulation of scientific knowledge on the Portuguese African territories & the management of that knowledge in order to build and strengthen Portugal's diplomatic position regarding the «scramble for Africa» period.
here is a link to some of my digressions... I am looking forward to meeting you next week!

Catarina

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #143 by R-J Wille
Replied by R-J Wille on topic List of participants
Hi everybody!

At the moment I am collecting my goggles, swimming trousers and flipflops for a lovely holiday week in Ischia. I hope I still have room for my laptop and reading material! O, wait, did I write holiday week? I am sorry, I meant summer school. Anyway, I am really looking forward to it.

This September 11 I will defend my dissertation at the Radboud University in Nijmegen. My dissertation deals with four Dutch biologists (three zoologists and one tropical botanist) who successfully appealed to the Dutch government to build zoological and botanical field stations between 1870 and 1910. One station, the botanical station at the Buitenzorg botanical gardens in the Dutch Indies, later became a world renowned laboratory complex that did not only form the base for the colonial department of agriculture but also received many international visitors, among them Ernst Haeckel and Gottlieb Haberlandt. For more, see: link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-12185-7_13 . (The rest of this volume on life sciences and agriculture is interesting for all of you too, by the way.)

At the moment I am working on the history of German climate science. I have a stipend at the Deutsches Museum in Munich and will move on to the Erfurt University's research library at Gotha's castle to investigate the 20th century history of German meteorology starting with scientists like Vladimir Köppen and Alfred Wegener. I will connect the development of the geographical life sciences (plant geography, biosphere) to the sciences of the the atmosphere and the earth.

See you all soon!
Robert-Jan
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by R-J Wille.

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #144 by K Üçsu
Replied by K Üçsu on topic List of participants
Hi all,

I'm looking forward to meeting you all in such a lovely island Ischia. I am sure that it would be a great week blended with holiday also.
I am doing my PhD on History of Science at Istanbul University. My project is focused on Ottoman Cartography in Early Modern Era. I am dealing with the reflection of the changing aspect of European cartography on Ottomans. While pursuing this I generally use the European atlases' translations into Ottoman Turkish. My main aim is clearing up how and why Ottomans transformed the spatial data during translation process.
In addition to this, I am collecting meteorological data of Turkey from various resources starting from late 19th to early 20th century for creating meteorological maps of Turkey in this period.

See you soon,
Kaan ÜÇSU
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by K Üçsu.

More
8 years 9 months ago #148 by Petter Hellström
Replied by Petter Hellström on topic List of participants
Friends, Ischians, countryhumans, lend me your eyes,

My name is Petter (two t's) and I'm a PhD student at Uppsala University in the North. My thesis work is concerned with the ways in which family trees were used for the order of things in late eighteenth and early nineteenth-century science. Through a number of case studies of men (I've only found men) in seemingly unconnected disciplines (encyclopaedism, natural history, philology, music theory) who, around the year 1800, found that the order of things was like a tree, I'm trying to understand what work the family tree performed in science before it became a more generally accepted principle of order and origins in the second half of the nineteenth century.

Now you might be thinking: life, sure, but how is this related to geography? Well, first because it largely was because of colonial expansion and globalisation that the old order (of plants, of peoples, of knowledge) had been upset, and second because the tree model during this precise period was made to incorporate more and more elements of competing models, including that prime model of spatial organisation in the period, the map. The family trees I'm studying are peculiarly geographical. (I'm also very interested in maps.)

Here's my page on Academia: uppsala.academia.edu/PetterHellstrom
And here's my Uppsala page: katalog.uu.se/empinfo/?languageId=1&id=N12-227

I'm looking very much forward to meeting you all soon!

Godspeed,

Petter

More
8 years 9 months ago #154 by Adreissa Páez
Replied by Adreissa Páez on topic List of participants
Hi everyone,
I am a PhD. Student at the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México.

I explore the American entomology at the beginning of the twentieth century through the case of William Morton Wheeler (1865-1937) whose interests focused on systematics and social behavior of ants. Thru my case I try to make visible some aspects of the professionalization of biology, since Wheeler came from a natural history tradition and at the same time made efforts to gain recognition as a professional biologist.

Wheeler’s case crosses the subject of Geographies of Life in many ways. For example, the creation and use of special instruments such as the artificial nests. This nests made possible to collect ants alive and observe their behavior in detail, and also enable some species of ants (and knowledge about them) to travel to different locations, from field to lab, and across countries and seas; Another link is the interesting network Wheeler established with other people around the world by means of the Ant Collection of the Harvard University, back then under his responsibility and construction. I want to understand the nature of the exchange in the network, the development of a “myrmecological economy” in it and the importance of this movements for Wheeler’s position as an expert and for the construction of his discipline.

Fortunately we’ll have enough time to explain “in extenso” our ideas on shared interests.

See you soon and ¡buen viaje!
“Adre”