Ischia 2017 Faculty

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #166 by admin
Ischia 2017 Faculty was created by admin
Beyond the four co-Directors (Janet Browne, Christiane Groeben, Nick Hopwood, and Staffan Müller-Wille), the following faculty will attend the School:
  • Warwick Anderson
  • Peder Anker
  • Ariane Dröscher
  • Guido Giglioni
  • Mathias Grote
  • Shigehisa Kuriyama
  • Maaike van der Lugt
  • Lynn Nyhart
  • Hans-Jörg Rheinberger
  • Lucy van de Wiel
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by admin.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #170 by Peder Anker
Replied by Peder Anker on topic Peder Anker
A few words about myself, Peder Anker.
My teaching and research interests lie in the history of science, ecology, environmentalism and design, as well as environmental philosophy.

I received my PhD in history of science from Harvard University in 1999, and I am currently Associate Professor at the Gallatin School of Individualized Study at New York University. I am the co-author of Global Design: Elsewhere Envisioned (Prestel, 2014) together with Louise Harpman and Mitchell Joachim. I am also the author of From Bauhaus to Eco-House: A History of Ecological Design (Louisiana State University Press 2010), which explores the intersection of architecture and ecological science, and Imperial Ecology: Environmental Order in the British Empire, 1895-1945 (Harvard University Press, 2001), which investigates how the promising new science of ecology flourished in the British Empire.

My current book project explores the history of ecological debates in my country of birth, Norway.

More
6 years 9 months ago #172 by Staffan Müller-Wille
Replied by Staffan Müller-Wille on topic Ischia 2017 Faculty
Looking forward to see you all in Ischia. Here's my "official" short bio. For those who don't know me yet: I'm always happy to talk about Linnaeus, heredity and genes, politics, and life in general over a drink and/or meal, especially on Ischia.

Staffan Müller-Wille is Associate Professor in the History and Philosophy of the Life Sciences and Co-director of Egenis, the Centre for the Study of the Life Sciences, at the University of Exeter (England), and he also holds an Honorary Chair at the Institute for History of Medicine and Science Studies of the University of Lübeck. He received his PhD from the University of Bielefeld (1997) and subsequently worked as scientific curator at the German Hygiene Museum in Dresden (1998-2000) and the Max Planck Institute for the History of Science in Berlin (2000-2004). He is Editor-in-Chief of the journal History and Philosophy of the Life Sciences, and has been particularly active in doctoral and postdoctoral training, serving on the board of directors of the Ischia Summer School on the History of the Life Sciences. His research covers the history of the life sciences from the early modern period to the early twentieth century, with a focus on the history of natural history, anthropology, and genetics. Among more recent publications is a book co-authored with Hans-Jörg Rheinberger on A Cultural History of Heredity (2012) and two co-edited collections on Human Heredity in the Twentieth Century (2013) and Heredity Explored: Between Public Domain and Experimental Science, 1850–1930 (2016). He has also collaborated on a new English translation of Gregor Mendel's paper "Versuche über Pflanzen-Hybriden" (1866) which is available online at www.bshs.org.uk/bshs-translations/mendel/ . Currently, he is working on the use of statistics and kinhip analysis in social, cultural and physical anthropology around 1900, with a focues on the work of Franz Boas.

More
6 years 9 months ago #178 by Ariane Dröscher
Replied by Ariane Dröscher on topic Ischia 2017 Faculty
Ciao!
Sono Ariane Dröscher. I'm looking forward to our talks and walks on the marvellous island of Ischia.
I graduated in biology and history at the University of Hamburg and made my PhD in history of biology. Then I moved to Italy, where I lectured at several universities and different faculties (biology, history and philosophy, medicine, political sciences, economics). I am now teaching history of science at the University of Trento.
My interests are too broad to be listed here, yet my favorite topic is the history of the cell with all its multilayered facets and implications from its first vision up to today. Other running projects concern the history of entomology and the quantitative history of universities.
If you are interested you can have a look at my publications on unibo.academia.edu/ArianeDr%C3%B6scher .
A presto!
Ariane

More
6 years 9 months ago #188 by Lucy van de Wiel
Replied by Lucy van de Wiel on topic Ischia 2017 Faculty
Dear all,

I look forward to meeting you all and having an inspiring week on the beautiful island of Ischia.

My research focuses on new reproductive technologies and their relation to changing conceptualisations of fertility and ageing. I wrote my PhD about egg freezing, a new technology used for fertility preservation. Egg freezing is an infertility treatment aimed at fertile women and its recent introduction both reflects and shifts ideas about reproductive ageing.

I am also interested in embryo selection with time-lapse embryo imaging, which we will discuss in the seminar. This technology is used to film embryos while they are in the incubator. The timing of their cell divisions, which now becomes observable, may be used to determine which embryos are most viable and can be implanted into an intended mother's womb. In doing so, it brings the hitherto invisible embryos into view of the intended parents and the embryologists alike.

I look forward to discussing both technologies and broader questions of life cycles with all of you.

Best wishes,
Lucy