hello!

More
4 years 9 months ago #243 by Kelsey H
hello! was created by Kelsey H
Hi everyone!

My name is Kelsey Henry. I am a third-year PhD student in American Studies and I also recently completed my M.A. in History of Science and Medicine, both at Yale. My research concerns the temporality of human life and how it is measured, managed, and modified across medical and scientific disciplines. More specifically, I am interested in the impact of nineteenth-century evolutionary science on twentieth-century biomedical, psychoanalytic, and psychological theories of growth, aging, and the life course. While my work foregrounds scientific metrics of human development, I understand that concerns about the appropriate speed, pace, and sequence of a "normal" human life are not strictly the province of scientific inquiry. I would love to have conversations with other scholars in histories of science and STS about how we might extend medico-scientific questions about the temporality of life and the human as a uniquely temporalized category, towards interrogations of "the human" as a contested social, political, and legal category.

I have been thinking a lot about what histories of the life sciences might gain from thinking about the life course not as descriptive, but as a prescriptive metric that is far from impartial and objective in its design and application.

I will carry these questions and concerns with me to Ischia and am eager to talk with and learn from you all!

Kelsey

Please Log in to join the conversation.