Field trips June 26th / July 4th

More
8 years 9 months ago #103 by R-J Wille
Field trips June 26th / July 4th was created by R-J Wille
Hello everybody!

I will arrive the 25th of June and leave the 5th of July. So that means I have two days extra available for expeditions: the 26th of June and the 4th of July. Does anyone have tips for possible field trips? If people care to join, that would be great too. I have already visited Pompeii and Paestum many years ago, but never went to the Vesuvius, for example. We could also re-enact a marine biological expedition and hire a large survey vessel of the Royal Navy, or turn climbing the famous volcano into a Humboldtian vegetation excursion. We need to bring anemometers, barometers, hygrometers and stubborn donkeys then.

Anyway; I have not yet booked rooms for the 25th, 26th, the 3rd and the 4th, so if we have a team for one or more trips, we could split rooms on these nights: let me know. If anyone has tips for good hotels in the Bay area, let me know too.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #105 by L Martin
Replied by L Martin on topic Field trips June 26th / July 4th
I would be interested in traveling on July 3, but have a morning flight July 4. I've booked a hotel room in walking distance from the port that I'd like to share: www.decumani.com/
$90 split w however many people.

More
8 years 9 months ago #106 by Petter Hellström
Replied by Petter Hellström on topic Field trips June 26th / July 4th
Hi. I too will arrive on the 25th (late in the evening), so I would be happy to make an excursion of some sort on the 26th (preferably half day, so I have some time to do preparations as well). Volcano climbing or any other activity that includes activity sounds especially good to me! Petter

More
8 years 9 months ago #121 by R-J Wille
Replied by R-J Wille on topic Field trips June 26th / July 4th
Hello all,

So let's try if we can do volcano climbing on the 26th of July. Let's try the morning, Petter? Shall we meet some place central, close to the Porta Nolana, the departing station for the Vesuviano?

And, Laura, we could take a late boat back to the mainland on the 3rd, and hike on the island? We can try convincing others to join during the week.

More
8 years 9 months ago #130 by Petter Hellström
Replied by Petter Hellström on topic Field trips June 26th / July 4th
I would be pleased. I will arrive quite late (midnight) to my b'n'b the night before, so I wouldn't want to go too early. 10am or anything thereafter. But afternoon would also be good. Any ideas about a good place to meet?

More
8 years 9 months ago #131 by R-J Wille
Let's say 10:30? Is your B&B in the centre? I can collect you there.

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #139 by K Üçsu
Replied by K Üçsu on topic Field trips June 26th / July 4th
Hi,
I also will be in Naples on 26th, but i will arrive in city center about 11.30. If you organize a trip afternoon, i'd like to join you. I booked a B&B close to main station. here it is:
www.booking.com/hotel/it/napoli-stazione...4;dist=0&type=total&
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by K Üçsu.

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #149 by R-J Wille
Hi everybody,

It is going to be Vesuvius climbing this Friday the 26th. I have not been thinking properly about the weather before. But now I have, and I assume it is best not to wait too long with all the heat, and I do not know how long it will take if want to do it sotto tiempo.

So, I am sorry Kaan, but I propose meeting early, and we will do this at the second stop of the Circumvesuviana train. So, not Porta Nolana but Garibaldi station, which fortunately for logistics but unfortunately for crowd avoiders, is connected to the Central Station. So, I propose to meet at the Feltrinelli bookstore at 9:45 exactly ( www.napolicentrale.it/it/offertacommerci.../feltrinelli-express ) I think a bookstore is a safe place to arrive a bit early and peruse magazines.

By the way: look at the google map. You see that there are also two metro stops around, called 'Garibaldi' and 'Piazza Garibaldi', but they are both close, and the bookshop is on the map, too, if you zoom on the spot between those two metro stops.

We want to get the 10.10 train to Sorrento, where we have to get off at Ercolano Scavi (not the other one). We can always decide on the spot to go to the Herculaneum diggings and the Orto Botanico there instead. (If the volcano starts spewing lava for example.)

Anyway, do not wear flip flops, bring a sweater for the top, and we should buy bread, mortadella and above all water, maybe in advance. So, bring a bag.

Any questions or propositions?

My phone number is +49, then add 178, then add 287 and then add 3210.

See you then!
Robert-Jan
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by R-J Wille.