Emplacing Field Science

More
8 years 9 months ago #99 by Raf de Bont
Emplacing Field Science was created by Raf de Bont
Dear all,
For my seminar I selected two texts: One (by Bocking) uses the spatial turn to analyze different forms of ecology in the Canadian North. The other one (by Schuz) is a primary source that discusses stork research in 1930s Eastern Prussia. I think both combined can offer a good starting point for thinking about how to study field biology from a spatial perspective. One possible thing we can explore is how the perspectives taken by Bocking are helpful for understanding what Schuz is writing about. Of course, we can also link these perspectives to other cases you have been studying yourself. Anyhow, I'd be happy to introduce the texts and explain why I have chosen them.
Christiane told me in the past it was a popular arrangement to have this intro followed by a short presentation by you - then to break up in smaller groups to discuss particular questions, before reporting back. It seems worth giving that a try. But, of course, I am also open to alternative forms of organization. I will be happy to hear from you...
Best wishes!
Raf
The following user(s) said Thank You: C Madruga, Adreissa Páez

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #101 by Adreissa Páez
Replied by Adreissa Páez on topic Emplacing Field Science
Hello Raf
Thank you for this introduction and the call for starting the discussion. I confess I am reading by schedule, so I have not read the texts you selected yet. But what you are explaining about your selection is helpful, now I have a best idea of what to expect; also it would be great (just a suggestion) if you could gave us any guide question to focus our reading.
I guess we should use this space to ask questions and open discussions, so I will be happy to participate soon.

More
8 years 9 months ago #152 by L Reis-Castro
Replied by L Reis-Castro on topic Emplacing Field Science
Dear Raf (and others),

Thanks for starting the discussion. Beyond the readings, I was also wondering how to prepare for the seminar since I’m assigned to this group.

While reading I was trying to think the notions of “situated/mobile science” to my own research. In my very biased interest, I was curious to discuss more about the relations between science in the field/science in the lab, and how that relations unfolds within particular histories and geographies.

To be honest, I’m still unsure what is expected from us in these seminars. Shall we prepare something more structured beforehand? Or just some guiding questions?

See you all soon!
Luísa
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adreissa Páez

More
8 years 9 months ago #156 by Adreissa Páez
Replied by Adreissa Páez on topic Emplacing Field Science
Hi
Maybe we could try a brainstorm here (and then at ischia, before this session) and propose possible questions (you aleady suggested a very interesting one) that could be assigned to smaller groups, so at the end every group should present a summary of the discussion they had around those particular issues. What do you think?

More
8 years 9 months ago #157 by Raf de Bont
Replied by Raf de Bont on topic Emplacing Field Science
Thanks for the input, Andreissa and Luisa,
I think the idea of a brainstorm (both here and in Naples) is an excellent one - as is the idea to work with smaller groups.
Anyhow, to stimulate the discussion I add a document with some questions that may guide the reading and the eventual discussion. Obviously, they can be further extended...
All best!
Raf

Attachment Seminar.pdf not found

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.